Keeping Dogs Cool?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeping Dogs Cool?

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 19/7/2013, 18:26

I know there's bits and pieces of advice on the internet but has anyone got any ideas for keeping dogs cool in this heat?

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about mine. He's not ill or anything like that but he's clearly struggling in the heat. He's got free access to a constant supply of fresh water, free access to the garden and shaded areas both outside and inside the house as well as fans being on in the living room.

My parents Spaniel isn't suffering nearly as much as my Red Setter is. He's got quite a long coat and it's almost a double coat. There's only so many tepid baths I can give him, not least because when he's wet, he takes about three hours to dry properly and my mother won't let him in the house unless he's nearly dry.
I'm taking him for his walks at about 6.30am - 7am because by the time 8am swings round, it's getting a bit too warm for him to be out so he's not even being taken out in the sun.

So, anyone got any ideas from their own dog-owning years? Maybe I'm just worrying too much but he is fidgety and panting all the time and I'm just wondering if there's something I could do or that would make him more comfortable that I haven't yet thought of scratch.

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeping Dogs Cool?

Post by Frank Drebin on 19/7/2013, 18:49

I have a long coated German Shepherd, he obviously feels it in the heat too. I have a kids plastic sandpit/paddling pool that I use for him, filled with water in the back garden, he can just go and cool himself in it as he wants, the down side is obviously the wet dog, as you are already aware. Another thing he likes, I get and old pair of jeans and cut them up, then tie into a kind of knot rope, soak in water and freeze, then give to dog as chew toy. (This also works for puppies that are teething to stop them chewing what they shouldn't and being destructive as the cold soothes painful gums)
Frank Drebin
Feds

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Mare Per Terram on 19/7/2013, 19:04

For my two, I've been putting ice cubs in their water bowls and putting their favourite toy in the freezer for a few hours before giving them it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 19/7/2013, 19:07

I am keeping a close eye on him because the other night, he was gasping for breath. Almost like he couldn't get enough air in to his lungs so I went and sat in the garden with him for an hour, at gone midnight Very Happy He hasn't quite that bad since but he is panting an awful lot.

I shall go and dig out an old pair of jeans and freeze them though. Brilliant idea Very Happy Especially as it might keep him still and keep his fluid levels up Very Happy Thanks Frank :-).

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 19/7/2013, 19:08

PMPT, I've been doing the ice cube thing on a regular basis, the trick is to stop him sitting there chewing his way through the whole lot Laughing Cheers :-D.

Back to top Go down

Post by Frank Drebin on 19/7/2013, 19:13

@Girl*Next*Door wrote:

I shall go and dig out an old pair of jeans and freeze them though. Brilliant idea :DEspecially as it might keep him still and keep his fluid levels up :DThanks Frank :-).

You're welcome. I tend to make a few of those 'chews' at once and rotate them. As they start to thaw out they drip all over the place, so I take it away (if he's in the house with it, obviously if he's in the garden it's no hassle) and give another if necessary. You can then re-soak and freeze again (Personally, I put them in a carrier bag in the freezer if he's already had them once, to avoid the dog slob/water mix creeping into other things in there)
Frank Drebin
Feds

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Mare Per Terram on 19/7/2013, 19:17

@Girl*Next*Door wrote:PMPT, I've been doing the ice cube thing on a regular basis, the trick is to stop him sitting there chewing his way through the whole lot :lol:Cheers :-D.

Crush the ice cubs up? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 19/7/2013, 19:25

Then they melt quicker! Very Happy.

If I make it slush he will sit there and slurp the lot and then get bellyache. He is a twat Very Happy.

I've got a small bowl that I've been half filling with ice cubes, half water which is sort of stopping him. Ish Laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevie6544 on 19/7/2013, 22:34

GND, we have two big hairy dogs and they too have been panting heavily - they do it regulate their body temperature, it's similar to hyperventilating but as a means to get cooler air in at a faster rate, the mouth being the only real place that has exposed skin i.e. that acts as a heat exchanger, so they pant to increase the airflow past it. Sounds like they are struggling but it is not as bad as it sounds. If you put your hand on their fur it will feel cool so the method is working.
They like to lie on tiled floors too, that helps. They know how to sort themselves out, we can help as you have described but they are fine.
Stevie6544

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 19/7/2013, 22:42

Stevie, yeah I know. I do tend to worry a bit too much sometimes, mainly because he is my boy and you don't very often find me without him and vice-versa Laughing. I've never seen him struggle in the heat quite as much as he has been this last week or so. The other Setter is fine because he's more the show type and his coat is not much more than silken threads so he's dandy.

I sponged H down earlier on the hot points they recommend you to if it's very hot, neck, inner thigh etc and he can't be too bad because he came to life for a few minutes after that and was back to his usually muppet-like self Very Happy.

It's a lot cooler here this evening, there's actually a breeze, so he's sparko on the patio at the moment Laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Str8lolly on 19/7/2013, 23:18

This is a bit racist. No mention of keeping cats cool or how about keepng Axoloti cool in this weather?
Str8lolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 20/7/2013, 00:16

I make no apology for being a cat-ist. Dogs win paws down for me Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Strumpet on 20/7/2013, 02:53

I have two dogs who live in temps 40+c in the summer.....so as mentioned a plastic paddling pool filled with water, hosing them down during the day , lots of shade, freeze an ice cream two thirds full of water and then top up with water and stand this outside for them...
Try and walk them on grass only as concrete and pavement gets hot...taken them out before 9am and after 6pm which is the cooler time of the day....

S
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 20/7/2013, 07:49

I took him out for half an hour before I left this morning and I had a cardi on but he was still warm.
I scavenged a pair of old jeans and that's in the freezer now with strict instructions to my sister to keep an eye on him while I'm not around today and to give him the 'rope' of frozen jeans when the day warms up a bit.

Strumpet, the ice cream carton solves the issue of him gobbling the ice cubes :-) thanks xx.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strumpet on 20/7/2013, 12:23

@Girl*Next*Door wrote:I took him out for half an hour before I left this morning and I had a cardi on but he was still warm.
I scavenged a pair of old jeans and that's in the freezer now with strict instructions to my sister to keep an eye on him while I'm not around today and to give him  the 'rope' of frozen jeans  when the day warms up a bit.

Strumpet, the ice cream carton solves the issue of him gobbling the ice cubes :-) thanks xx.
No worries ..

S
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevie6544 on 20/7/2013, 14:43

I understand your feelings regards dogs - they have been a part of our lives for years and to be honest I have more respect and concern toward them than I do for most humans. I'll also admit that I have also grieved more for dogs who have passed than I have for some humans, too. I don't really care what that says about me.....Very Happy
Stevie6544

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Mare Per Terram on 20/7/2013, 15:13

@Stevie6544 wrote:I understand your feelings regards dogs - they have been a part of our lives for years and to be honest I have more respect and concern toward them than I do for most humans. I'll also admit that I have also grieved more for dogs who have passed than I have for some humans, too. I don't really care what that says about me.....Very Happy

I totally agree mate, I have the exact some view!

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Random on 20/7/2013, 16:26

There are several people I can think of I'd walk past in the street, yet a dog will always (if safe) get a little tickle behind the ears

Nothing I say should be listened to I'm full of shit and not the Messiah, in fact I'm a very naughty boy, nope wait I'm Spartacus, nope I'm Batman, nope I'm defiantly a naughty boy, however if I'm a cunt towards you the odds are it's cause I like you

I'm dyslexic and not up my own arse so if I pick you up on spelling then you've fucked up bigtime

I AM THE byLAW
Mr Random

Back to top Go down

Post by Per Mare Per Terram on 20/7/2013, 20:39

I've just spent the afternoon swimming in the local river with my dogs. They loved it as did I! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 20/7/2013, 21:07

@Stevie6544 wrote:I understand your feelings regards dogs - they have been a part of our lives for years and to be honest I have more respect and concern toward them than I do for most humans. I'll also admit that I have also grieved more for dogs who have passed than I have for some humans, too. I don't really care what that says about me.....Very Happy

It says the same about me then. I know when the day comes for me to say goodbye to mine, I will be utterly and absolutely heartbroken yet over the past couple of years, there have been friends of the family pass and although I've been upset, not as upset as I would be if it had been my dog. Which is possibly a terrible thing to say but I wasn't close to these people like I am my dog Very Happy.

It's hard to explain, anyone who has had a dog will know what I mean.

Anyway, my dog's the only person pleased to see me no matter what and that sort of loyalty counts for a hell of a lot Laughing Laughing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevie6544 on 20/7/2013, 21:30

Seconded. Thank God for dogs.

That comment will mean open season for the pervs......Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Stevie6544

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 20/7/2013, 21:59

I think it is because I've never had a dog that has been 100% my own. They've always been family dogs but getting mine was a lifelong ambition fulfilled because I've always wanted a Red Setter. He's the most challenging dog I've known, devil-may-care attitude topped off with a hefty serving of 'go on, make me!' outlook, mad as a hatter, everyone's friend but a Marmite character, either he is loved for his exuberance and friendliness or people get fed up with him and he will push his luck to the line and back again and then check that there's definitely no negotiation by going and giving the line a hefty kick and watching for a reaction Laughing

He can open the kitchen bin, he once managed to get a box of After Eights off a bookshelf, drag the box in to the spare room and empty the chocolates from the wrappers. As well as have the sense to have gone back and got the bag of Hersheys that was there, thankfully found with only teethmarks in. It is a battle of wits with him half the time but then if I'm doing the washing up, he'll come and lay behind my ankles and press his back to my heels so I can't be that evil to him when he's out of order Laughing

He answers back when I tell him off, he pushes the line all the time but on the other hand, I can trust him to behave on trains, buses,in crowds in town and most importantly, trust him around children (not without me around, obviously) I will admit to having a small glow of satisfaction at him going from a wayward pup who was a lunatic to a dog that if I wanted to, I could walk to the local park without a lead and he'd stay at my heel.

His sheer 'sod you!' attitude when he was a youngster pushed me to the brink of tears of frustration but I love him dearly, always have done, always will and although it's taken three years for him to calm down, it's the satisfaction of now seeing the efforts being paid off double-fold and loyalty in spades.

That's why dogs win over cats any day Razz:lol:

Back to top Go down

Post by Strumpet on 21/7/2013, 07:36

My boys...

S
Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevie6544 on 21/7/2013, 13:56

Must've been hard to get a sofa to match the dog....or was it vice versa? LOL...the second one looks like a male star in a US comedy flick I saw, can't remember his name but he was a complete geek and wore one of these hats, explains why he got such a hard time at high school in the movie

Characters, both of them. Enjoy.
Stevie6544

Back to top Go down

Post by Strumpet on 21/7/2013, 14:04

@Stevie6544 wrote:Must've been hard to get a sofa to match the dog....or was it vice versa? LOL...the second one looks like a male star in a US comedy flick I saw, can't remember his name but he was a complete geek and wore one of these hats, explains why he got such a hard time at high school in the movie

Characters, both of them. Enjoy.
lol! 

S

Strumpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top