I Surrender!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I Surrender!

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 7/6/2013, 12:19

Hmmm, I think I've let myself in for a long haul! I never intended to have two dogs, especially not two Red Setters. Not for another year or so anyway.

Then I somehow stumbled across an advert for a 3 year old male who was in need of a new home because his owner had started very long shifts. I made the fatal mistake of going along, seeing him, falling in love with him and bringing him home the next day. Mainly because a hat rack has more meat on it and because despite that, he is a bundle of love and 'grins'.

The only problem is, I now have one Setter who is pretty well behaved and another who only has the bare minimum grasp of basic commands, so my one, who is pretty well behaved, is taking the piss and is descending to the level of the badly behaved one Evil or Very Mad .

Ever get that feeling you've done something really, really stupid? :x.

To be fair, the new one is pretty good and he is lovely and in 24 hours he has got the grasp of laying down, sitting and waiting for food and sitting and waiting for me to step out of the door before he does.

The only thing is, I've been let down by a friend who offered to help me take both of them out for a walk this evening. Just to gauge Flynn's (new dog) reactions. I can't leave mine behind and take Flynn or mine will go schitzo and vice-versa.

So, if anyone is around the South of the Country and sees a 4'11 woman being towed along by two ginger blurs, spare a thought please Razz.

I handle mine like a horse, because he generally behaves like one. Surely if I do the same with the other then it can't go that badly wrong? Can it?

If you never hear from me again then you all know what's happened Rolling Eyes affraid Very Happy.
Girl*Next*Door

Back to top Go down

Re: I Surrender!

Post by Per Mare Per Terram on 7/6/2013, 12:35

This is why I'll (selfishly) never rehome a dog. I can't be doing with an adult dog that's poorly trained etc.

Always always get them as a 12 week old pup and put it through extensive training.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 7/6/2013, 12:39

If I'm being truly honest, I don't mind it. My first one was a little sod to train purely because of his sheer bloody mindedness.

At least with this one, he takes notice of my voice.

However, the poor sod has been allowed to think that jumping up to people, furniture, worktops etc is fine and also been allowed to think that taking food from plates and drinking from cups is fine. He's also got a flea problem on his nose that has been left to scab up and bleed Sad.
Even if I'd wanted to, I couldn't honestly have left him behind :-/.

So considering it has been 24 hours, he's not doing badly.

It's like having a toddler around the house though, eyes in the back of your head!

Back to top Go down

Post by Str8lolly on 7/6/2013, 13:12

Ah dogs. Since my youth, all dogs seem to take to me. The times I was sent home from school because some strange dog had followed me into school! Got a phone call one night from a friend. Her husband was trapped in their kitchen because the german shepherd had gone mental, help! I went round there and as soon as the dog saw me, he wagged his tail and rolled over? Had to be put down for a tumor on the brain. When I split from my wife, to visit my children, I used to take a collar and lead. Sure enough once a month she would have a dog there which she couldnt handle. A lot of pubs in Lambeth ended up with guard dogs thanks to my ex-wife.

Then I rescued a mongrel from her. I am not sure if I did the training or she did? But a lead was never needed. Even our cat took to her. A walk would mean the cat came too! Funny to watch the dog sit at a crossing and the cat sit behind her. They would go off and play together in the park while I popped in the Surprise pub for a half pint. Then when they had finished, they came back to the pubs front door, sat and waited for me. I never gave that dog a command and she never barked. Sadly, both died of cancer.The ex-wife died two months ago, so no chance of getting another dog.
Str8lolly

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/6/2013, 15:45

My German Shepherd Merlin was a cracking dog, I use to take him to work with me at the gun shop. If I ever got a stroppy customer I'd call him and he'd come trotting from the back office and he'd jump up with both front paws on the counter, stroppy customers soon became reasonable.

I'd take him for a walk around the town during the day, gangs of yobo's on street corners would simply part like the red sea keeping a careful eye on him.

Sadly he had to be put to sleep because of cancer of the liver two days after Christmas 2011, he was only 5 years old and he was the best friend I ever had. I still miss him today.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 7/6/2013, 18:39

I have a history of rehoming old dogs. But since the divorce, I've never seemed to get back into it... :| Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 7/6/2013, 21:11

Well, first walk was relatively successful.

He pulled like a train for the first couple of minutes but thankfully, settled down after that Very Happy.
I had one in my right hand and the other in my left and both were excellent.

I am really pleased at how quickly and how well he has settled in Very Happy.

Str8lolly, what's your secret?! Surprised Very Happy.

BritinAfrica, ah, I know that feeling! Even though Harley is as soft as butter, people still cross the road sometimes or pass with a very wary eye purely due to his size. Mind you, having said he is as soft as butter, he has been very protective and guarding on the two occasions it was really needed.
I am sure when people see me with the two of them, they will all pass with a wary eye or cross the road :p Very Happy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Girl*Next*Door on 7/6/2013, 21:12

sgtpepperband wrote:I have a history of rehoming old dogs. But since the divorce, I've never seemed to get back into it... :| Twisted Evil

Yes, in much the same way as I appear to have a habit of acquiring old dogs as friends.... Razz Twisted Evil.
Girl*Next*Door

Back to top Go down

Post by m551 sheridan on 8/6/2013, 18:12

Girl*Next*Door wrote:

Ever get that feeling you've done something really, really stupid?

actually yes.... tis was the first time I was about to jump out of an old C-119 I was thinking to myself as we shuffled to the door

This is really stupid my eyes were closed so tight when I went out that door --

maybe on another day I'll tell you the rest of the story.
m551 sheridan

Back to top Go down

Post by m551 sheridan on 8/6/2013, 19:05

Str8lolly wrote:Ah dogs. Since my youth, all dogs seem to take to me. The times I was sent home from school because some strange dog had followed me into school! Got a phone call one night from a friend. Her husband was trapped in their kitchen because the german shepherd had gone mental, help! I went round there and as soon as the dog saw me, he wagged his tail and rolled over? Had to be put down for a tumor on the brain. When I split from my wife, to visit my children, I used to take a collar and lead. Sure enough once a month she would have a dog there which she couldnt handle. A lot of pubs in Lambeth ended up with guard dogs thanks to my ex-wife.

Then I rescued a mongrel from her. I am not sure if I did the training or she did? But a lead was never needed. Even our cat took to her. A walk would mean the cat came too! Funny to watch the dog sit at a crossing and the cat sit behind her. They would go off and play together in the park while I popped in the Surprise pub for a half pint. Then when they had finished, they came back to the pubs front door, sat and waited for me. I never gave that dog a command and she never barked. Sadly, both died of cancer.The ex-wife died two months ago, so no chance of getting another dog.

not to worry... they be waiting
m551 sheridan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on 10/6/2013, 21:53

Girl*Next*Door wrote:

Yes, in much the same way as I appear to have a habit of acquiring old dogs as friends.... Razz Twisted Evil.

Meow... cat

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum